A Gold Winner
As Pontis is an award-winning organic extra virgin olive oil from Almazara As Pontis, founded by brothers Carlos and Miguel Carrasco in Extremadura, Spain (in local Fala dialect, As Pontis means "The Bridges", referring to the area's ancient Roman structures). It is made exclusively of hand-harvested olives from old, indigenous Manzanilla Cacereña trees on the family property and small neighboring groves, surrounded by a nature reserve. It won Gold at the 2017 NYIOOC (New York International Olive Oil Competition), building on its Silver in 2016 and Gold in 2014 and 2015.
The Best Olive Oil Mill of Spain 2017
Upon harvest, the estate's olives are pressed on site using a state-of-the-art Pieralisi oil mill. The entire production is sustainably integrated: olives from old groves; power generated by a biodigester; water purified in-house; and crushed olives fertilizing the groves. Almazara As Pontis has been named The Best Olive Oil Mill in Spain by the Spanish Association of Olive Municipalities (AEMO).
Kitty says: "When I tell people in the biz the price of our As Pontis Organic EVOO, they do a double-take, since it's a spectacular price for an organic olive oil, especially one of this quality."
A KL Keller Exclusive—Read the story of how Kitty discovered As Pontis!
Current Harvest Tasting Notes
Why We Like It
This estate-produced EVOO offers exceptional quality and fantastic value. Light in the mouth, buttery and medium-bodied, it reflects an excellent balance of ripe olive fruit, bitter and pepper, with hints of thyme and overtones of green tomato leaves. It is relatively high in phenolics, which leads to good shelf stability.
The Real Deal
Before release to us, each of our extra virgin olive oils is tested by a certified independent lab specializing in olive oil, and receives a Certificate of Analysis with a full report of its components.
The Power of 10 – Ten Ways to Use This Product
- Use it to poach halibut fillets
- Make oven-steamed fish with ginger and As Pontis (thank you, Nancy Harmon Jenkins!)
- Make an aioli for asparagus
- Pour it over vanilla ice cream (oh, yeah!)
- Make a simple dessert of orange slices, honey and As Pontis
- Use it make our Winter Fennel and Apple Salad
- Use it as a dipping oil with KL Keller Foodways Dukkah
- Make a Tortilla Española and remember to use enough oil—the potatoes and onion are supposed to poach!
- Sauté prawns, garlic and a little red chili pepper; serve over warm pasta
- Make Capellini Pasta with Checca Sauce (No-Cook Tomato Sauce)
|Product Code||Unit Size||Unit / Case||Unit Price||Case Price||UPC Code||Notes|
|81105||500 ml||12||8 437010 399114||new price|