A favorite of chefs around the world, Piment d’Espelette AOP is a spicy red pepper that originated in Mexico and came to Europe during the time of Christopher Columbus. Piment d’Espelette is famous for its food-friendly heat as well as its sweet red pepper perfume, which bring great depth of flavor to dishes.
The AOP (appellation d’origine protégée) designation is a European provenance guarantee, meaning this coveted spice can come only from 10 villages in a tiny, 22-square-kilometer region in and around Espelette, the French Basque town in a hilly, verdant region near Bayonne.
The restricted area and precarious weather conditions of the Basque region can limit supplies of this precious spice. All cultivation and harvest is done by hand in a time-consuming and labor-intensive process. Once harvested, the peppers are first air dried and then slowly finished in a kiln according to strict AOP regulations.
Why We Like It
Piment d’Espelette has a fruity ﬂavor and fragrant red pepper aroma. The heat is warm and food-friendly, complementing many types of cuisine. Our producer, Vincent Darritchon, sells directly to KL Keller, assuring us of excellent quality and product from the current year's harvest.
Read our blog post to discover more about what sets Piment d'Espelette Powder AOP apart from just any red pepper powder.
The Power of 10 – Ten Ways to Use This Product
- Season the traditional Basque sautéed vegetable piperade
- Grill prawns with olive oil and sprinkle with Piment d’Espelette
- Rub on a chicken before roasting
- Add to creamy roasted red pepper soup
- Make a Basque-style ratatouille
- Use in the Basque tuna and potato soup marmitako
- Bake gougères with Gruyère cheese and Piment d’Espelette
- Stir into your popcorn butter
- Add to mayonnaise along with a little lemon juice and use as a dip for fried potatoes or steamed artichokes
- Mix with salt, paprika and cumin and rub all over a pork chop before baking
|Product Code||Unit Size||Unit / Case||Unit Price||Case Price||UPC Code||Notes|
|81420||15 g||12||3760141 020271|
|81421||1 kg sack||1||N/A|
|81425||250 g sack||1||250 g||n/a||new size|